The Roll Sit to Stand challenge is a great sequence of movements for building body awareness and movement compentency. It requires no equipment and is a great alternative to a Turkish Get Up. This move is tougher than it looks, so practice rolling backwards and forwards to get a sense of how much strength and momentum you need to come to the knee. You'll also want a thick mat or carpet to protect your knees.
Did you know studies have shown that the ability to get off the ground to a standing position is an idicator of life expentancy and mortality? All the more reason to give this challange a shot!
- Start from a seated position.
- Roll back, tucking the knees in.
- As you roll forward, using your momentum and core strength, cross the right leg under the left.
- Continue rolling forward (using your hands on the floor to help you up, if needed) until you're in a kneeling position, resting on the right knee.
- From that split 1/2 kneeling position, stand up
- Reverse to the split position, sit back onto your butt and repeat on other side